All done with Week One! (that’s the only intentional rhyme you’ll get out of me…ever.)

I did say last week that I want to hold myself accountable over these next few months and so, if I’m going to be honest with myself and with everyone else, Week One did not go well. I had it all planned out and almost none of it went according to plan.

Tuesday (3 mile run)

After writing my last post, I was very excited for the first day of training. I didn’t get up with enough time to run the 3 miles in the morning, so I decided I was going to do it after work. Immediately after getting home from work, I changed, put on my running shoes, and went out the door. About a half mile into the run, I started to feel an ache between my calf muscle and Achilles tendon in my right leg. This area has been bothering me for the past couple weeks, but I thought I could push through it just as I have been doing.

Unfortunately, after another half mile, the pain got to a point where it couldn’t be ignored and I had to stop. I tried to stretch, walk it off, and keep running, but I kept having to stop. 2 walking breaks later, I stopped altogether and walked the rest of the way home.

Because this is an issue that has been going on for a couple weeks and I didn’t want it to get any worse, I decided to call NovaCare‘s injury hotline, a number I had only just gotten a couple days before at the Super Clinic. The physical therapist who called me back the next day gave me some stretches and exercises to try. She also suggested I go back to the brand of shoes I was running in before after finding out that I switched to an entirely new pair of shoes about a month ago.

Wednesday (3 mile run)

Apparently, Wednesday was National Running Day, which is a little  ironic considering I didn’t exactly run. The physical therapist gave me the go ahead to keep running, but I didn’t want to chance it, so I decided to do 45 minutes on the elliptical instead. I try to avoid running inside if at all possible, especially since it’s so nice out these days. I just don’t like the feeling of moving and not actually going anywhere. Still, I finished and I was at least active, even if I didn’t do the activity I was intended to do.

Proof (personal pic)

Thursday (3 mile run + strength)

I woke up with every intention of doing the 3 mile run this day. I even set aside my old shoes to run in until I had time to exchange my shoes for a different pair.

I stopped in the hallway of my building to readjust my sock and stupidly left my keys on the ground. Of course, I didn’t realize this happened until after the front door shut behind me and I realized I had no way of getting back into the building. By the time I got back inside (by hitting random buzzers until someone answered the door and let me in), I had to get ready for work. I couldn’t fit the run in after work because of dinner plans. Excuses, excuses…I know. So, neither the 3 mile run nor the strength training happened on Thursday.

I had Friday off, so I went back to the Naperville Running Company where I bought new shoes last month. When I went there the first time, I tried on 4 different pairs of shoes- including the newer model of the pair I was running in before (Mizuno Wave Alchemy, in case you were wondering) and the ones that felt best were these:

(Brooks Ariel. Image found here)

Unfortunately, what felt fine in the store didn’t translate into the runs that followed. Luckily, I didn’t have the shoes for too long and the very nice people at the Naperville Running Company let me bring them back. Now I have these:


Fingers crossed that these work out!

Saturday (6 mile run)

Screenshot from the RunKeeper app on my phone

This was the first run to go right all week. I was a little nervous because I hadn’t exactly been keeping up with the training plan in the days before this and 6 miles is the longest distance I’ve run in awhile. All things considered, it went extremely well. I didn’t have too much pain anywhere and kept up a good pace. To top it off, this was done before I left for work. This is why I love morning runs- I feel accomplished before the day even starts!

Sunday (cross training and strength)

My plan for cross training is to swim. With this plan in mind, I bought a membership to my town’s Aquatic Center after calling to confirm that they have a lap pool.

This was my vision of a lap pool:


And this was reality:



That’s not my pool, but you get the idea. When I asked about this supposed lap pool, one of the lifeguards told me that they haven’t been opening up lanes because of how busy it’s been on the weekends. She said if I asked, they would open one up for me. I decided against it because the strap on my goggles broke. I know I have an excuse for everything, but if I’m going to swim laps in a public pool, I want to look more like an experienced swimmer and less like a child learning how to swim for the first time, flailing around with eyes shut, trying not to get water in them. I left and went home to do strength exercises instead. I’ll be back next week with goggles in hand. I’ll be the weirdo swimming laps in the one lane by herself if you want to join me!

While Week 1 didn’t go as planned, I don’t want to let it get me down. Week 2 is coming up and is almost the same as Week 1, just with 7 miles on Saturday instead of 6. This Saturday I’ll be able to make it to the group run and I am very much looking forward to it. Here’s the schedule for Week 2. See you next Monday!

















(Found here, as always)